Sunday, August 31, 2014

'RWC Final 2011'

   This t-shirt rose to the top of the pile in a draw tidying exercise this week and represents my 50th year celebratory solo trip to New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup 2011. I had never been there and was disappointed I hadn't made the trip 10-15 years earlier when I had the chance and could have taken up one of those chalk board invitations to play rugby at the local oval. Instead here I was at the Rugby World Cup third place playoff and Final plus a few days following to explore post RWC sights and sounds!!
   The whole city of Auckland was abuzz with the festivities, including the chance to follow a 'walk' from the CBD to Eden Park with signposting and bands along the way... a cultural festival!! There was a Rugby Photographic exhibit,a the local cinema and 'Burger Fuel' all within a good walk in the city... the harbour rugby zone was OK, best in quieter times with the genuine possibility of conversations with locals or tourists alike!!
   I had worked hard to lose some weight before I went and so I was tantalisingly close to some souvenir wear and bang on for t's such as this...
   I was struck by the nervousness of the All Black fans ahead of the Final v France... fair enough I guess, a two team contest of survivors and the ABs appalling RWC record since that first one in 1987... the French took it to them and didn't actually play their best... and were close but couldn't quite crack it... On Monday morning 30,000 turned out in the main part of town for a Cup Parade... it was a spectacular vibe and celebration of a folkloric win!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment