Monday, November 4, 2013

U2 Zooropa or was that Zoomerang?

   I think I was 40kgs lighter when I bought this absolutely favourite U2 t-shirt!! It was available from the Zoo TV Tour here in Oz which was another of those where the band get part way around the world and then break for 12-18 months before finishing the Asian leg through Japan and down under...
   ZOO TV was an amazing, huge and slightly disturbing vibe... a comment about media manipulation and it's impact on us as humanity. I loved the grainy Berlin inspired sounds [all made clear when I found my way to Zoo Station in 1998. We were at Moore Park the night the Lemon malfunctioned in the rain and the band had to be let out and brought to stage by a different route!!
   The middle set harking back to Rattle & Hum reminded of the way in which those songs connected with some painful and some shaping life experiences from years earlier and I was transported to those days, emotions and learnings in a 2 hour extravanga!! Some years later, the same was true of the PopMart show but it was marked by a much more hopeful outlook and style.

No comments:

Post a Comment