Thursday, November 7, 2013

U2 'When Love Comes to Town"


   Sticking to the U2 theme this t-shirt is a treasured item!! The 'Lovetown' Tour made two stops at the Sydney Entertainment Centre and the night I went will stay with me forever... It mirrored the 'Rattle & Hum' doco film in every detail and nuance with a standout set from BB King!! I don't care if U2 never play outdoors again... 'The Claw' is amazing and the outdoor screens and LEDs must be visible from space, but you can't manufacture intimate connections with music & lyrics as it did seem that "God walked through the room"!!
   I think for me it was a time of struggle in my life and the transcendent nature of U2's best tunes was a palpable experience. Remember, this is the first time you've heard 'Pride [In the Name of Love}','Where the Streets Have No Name' etc. Having been too 'something or other' to jump in and miss a day at work I passed on the opportunity to see U2's War tour concert at the same venue because I'd have to skip a day of work... idiot!!... so this was a long time coming...
   The way U2 reinvent, reinterpret and re-theologise their songs depending on the global and local situation means everytime I've heard their standards since has provided it's own meaning and also lots of memories of previous tours. It's what helped me make the links between Zoo and Popmart and also to find a depth of emotion in the bands tribute to the Pike River Miners linking 'One Tree Hill', 'Amazing Grace' and family members of Steve's in the audience that night!! New album finished by the end of November I guess!!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment