Friday, April 25, 2014

NIKE Store New York




   I've written elsewhere about the dilemma of buying NIKE products... what dilema I hear you say... just don't do it!! The Dominican Republic and beyond, host factories where workers earn a subsistence wage while the Michael Jordan's of the world earn mega millions today even long after a career, in the name of image and brand. At the weight and fitness I was in the late 90s the Nike XXXL t-shirt was about the best fit I could find... I was fit but liked a roomy tough shirt for walking, rugby training etc... I've never worn it for the brand, maybe for the team or the location, but never the brand... The reality is as I sit here today writing, all my clothes are from the developing world, including socks and undies and even my watch was made in Thailand... they're all not such an issue because without a swoosh they aren't paying a golfer 200 million dollars to wear them and their story isn't as visible... they are just as bad!!
   I do at least wear these shirts until they fall to bits and then cut them up for rags and I have many times written to NIKE about fairwear and 'no sweat shops' and it's been 10 years since I've bought a NIKE t-shirt.
   Taking all that on board, this one is from the Nike Store in Manhattan, on 57th St, which is five floors of sports and performance wear that I visited in 1998 when I was running out of t-shirts on our 9 week trip... it did the job and I wore it for the next 4-5 years at least once a week... to remind myself of my favourite world city outside of Sydney... The Nike Store had a whole section of Livestrong gear and an awful lot invested in Lance Armstrong. The New York Knicks baskteball team were due to visit the following day and the store was forever hosting parties and fashion shows...
   With the current female fashion trend of wearing fitness gear as street wear or 'all the time' and I see a cheap range coming into BiG W, I guess the sportswear as casual wear trend will continue...
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment